Big Brother Mouse book parties
Attending an EventAre you coming to Luang Prabang? If you've sponsored a Big Brother Mouse book, or sponsored a full book party ($400 USD), or made another donation of comparable size, we're eager for you to see what we do. But we ask that you donate or sponsor a book party because you want kids in Laos to get books and to learn the pleasures and benefits of literacy. If it is possible for you to attend an event, please think of that as a bonus, and note the following:
* We are not a travel company; we are not selling tours. If you do not wish to donate unless you can be certain you'll be able to attend a book party or other event, then we're sorry, but we cannot accommodate such requests. It would be better for you to arrange a village visit with a tour company.
* From 15 September to the end of April, except for special dates noted below, we can nearly always have an event in an accessible village on Tuesdays and Fridays, if we know in advance that a donor will be here and would like to attend. If you're here on one of those days, we hope you'll be able go with us on this trip, which typically departs at 8:00 a.m. and returns between 12:00 and 2:30 p.m. This is usually a book party at a rural primary school, but based on school schedules and other considerations, it may consist of similar activities in another location.
* We generally do not hold school book parties during the major holidays, particularly the week of Lao New Year (13 to 15 April), 1 January, 8 March, 1 May, or 2 December. During school finals and summer (part of May; last half of January; early September) we hold only a few. Other special events and school tests sometimes limit us. However, at these times we will often have other events in villages, such as read-aloud, which you may be able to join.
* Our schedule is not planned long in advance and often changes, so we regret that it is not possible for us to answer questions about where we will be on certain dates, or whether we can arrange a party for you to attend on a specific date if you make a donation. We cannot try to arrange for you to join us at an event unless we have already received the donation from you.
Ready to proceed? Here's what to do:
* When you make your donation, or afterwards, let us know the dates that you expect to be in Luang Prabang, and that you would like to attend the party. Most villages that are close enough for a day trip from Luang Prabang are on a road, but please tell us if you can make a trip that requires some walking, and how much (from 15 minutes to 2 hours).
* Travel plans often change, so please email us about 2 weeks before your arrival to reconfirm your interest. As soon as we can, we'll let you know what we've been able to arrange. Typically, we plan events about 3 to 8 days in advance.
* Please read about requesting a book party in a specific village if that's what you wish to do.
* If you donated some time ago, but are only getting to Laos now, no problem, you're still in our records and we'll do our best so that you join us for an event.
Thank you! We look forward to seeing you here.